Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Santa Fe Beef Stew


I LOVE my slow cookers! Do you? My slow cooker has been a huge helpmate in saving family dinner times lately. No matter how many directions we are committed to running in the evening with the kids, I can feel confident that there is a hot meal waiting for all at home.

As our kids have gotten older, their taste palates have grown and they are more apt to try new dishes...thank goodness! This meal is one that I don't think they would have eaten not long ago. But when I served this a few months ago, they devoured every bite and went back for more. We all couldn't believe how moist and tender the stew meat was, it just melted in our mouths! I think one of the things they liked most about it was the "kick" the stew has from the green chili's and taco seasoning. It takes the every day beef stew and brings it up a notch. 

I actually took bits and pieces from two separate recipes from the same cookbook to prepare this the way I thought my family would like it. If you decide to try this for your loved ones, I hope they enjoy it as much as we did!

From the heart of my kitchen to yours, may your experience be fun and the food always flavorful! Enjoy!

Santa Fe Beef Stew

2 lbs. stewing meat, cubed
2 Tbsp. oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
2 beef bouillon cubes (I used beef base)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
3 carrots, sliced
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
14 1/2-oz. can green beans, drained, or 1 lb. frozen green beans (I used 1 quart home canned bean)
14 1/2-oz. can corn, drained, or 1 lb. frozen corn
4-oz. can diced green chilies
1 pkg. dry taco seasoning mix

1. Brown meat, onion, and garlic in oil in saucepan until meat is no longer pink. Place in slow cooker.

2.Stir in remaining ingredients.

3. Cover. Cook on High 30 minutes. Reduce heat to Low and cook 4-6 hours.

Source: Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I really love slow cooker meals too but I find it harder to do with just two of us at home now. It really was a great help though when my kids were home to get home from work and not have to worry about cooking dinner because it was already ready! Your recipe sounds great, I love a kick in my food!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I am all about my slow-cooker! I love putting things in before I leave in the morning, and when I come home that evening my whole house smells like a restaurant--with barely any effort on my part! ;-)

Unknown said...

The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information. And do not forget my friends visit my website :) thank you


Obat Lemah Syahwat
Obat Asam Lambung
Obat Syaraf Terjepit
Obat Stroke Ringan
Obat Kanker Hati
Obat Mata Keratitis
Obat Mata Ikan
Obat Kista Ginjal
Obat Fatty Liver
Manfaat Jian Xin Capsule